"I have different "sort preferences", so I can't build a index and use for
sorting.Maybe I have to sort by category then by source and by language or
by source, then by category and by date"

I would like to focus on this bit.
It is ok to go for a custom function and sort at query time, but I am
curious to explore why an index time solution should not be ok.
You can have these distinct fields :
source_priority
language_priority
category_priority
ect

This values can be assigned at the documents at indexing time ( using for
example a custom update request processor).
Then at query time you can easily sort on those values in a multi layered
approach :
sort:source_priority desc, category_priority  desc
Of course, if the priority for a source changes quite often or if it's user
dependent, a query time solution would be preferred.

-----