Apologies, 290gb was a typo on my end, it should read 29gb instead. I started
with my 5.5 configurations of limiting the RAM to 15gb. But it started going
down once it reached the 15gb ceiling. I tried bumping it up to 29gb since
memory seemed to stabilize at 22gb after running for few hours, of course,
it didn't help eventually. I did try the G1 collector. Though garbage
collection was happening more efficiently compared to CMS, it brought the
nodes down after a while.

The part I'm trying to understand is whether the memory footprint is higher
for 6.6 and whether I need an instance with higher ram (>30gb in my case). I
haven't added any post 5.5 feature to rule out the possibility of a memory
leak.