I agree, should have made it clear in my initial post. The reason I thought
it's little trivial since the newly introduced collection has only few
hundred documents and is not being used in search yet. Neither it's being
indexed at a regular interval. The cache parameters are kept to a minimum as
well. But there might be overheads of a simply creating a collection which
I'm not aware of.

I did bring down the heap size to 8gb, changed to G1 and reduced the cache
params. The memory so far has been holding up but will wait for a while
before passing on a judgment.

<filterCache class="solr.FastLRUCache" size="256" initialSize="256"
autowarmCount="0"/>
<queryResultCache class="solr.LRUCache" size="256" initialSize="256"
autowarmCount="0"/>
<documentCache class="solr.LRUCache" size="256" initialSize="256"
autowarmCount="0"/>
<cache name="perSegFilter" class="solr.search.LRUCache" size="10"
initialSize="0" autowarmCount="10" regenerator="solr.NoOpRegenerator" />
<fieldValueCache class="solr.FastLRUCache" size="256" autowarmCount="256"
showItems="0" />

The change seemed to have increased the number of slow queries (1000 ms),
but I'm willing to address the OOM over performance at this point. One thing
I realized is that I provided the wrong index size here. It's 49gb instead
of 25, which I mistakenly picked from one shard. I hope the heap size will
continue to sustain for the index size.