Thanks Shawn. I have done it with SolrJ. Apart from needing the
NoopResponseParser to handle the wt=, it was pretty painless.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Heisey [mailto:apa...@elyograg.org]
Sent: Wednesday, 1 November 2017 2:43 a.m.
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Stateless queries to secured SOLR server.

On 10/29/2017 6:13 PM, Phil Scadden wrote:
> While SOLR is behind a firewall, I want to now move to a secured SOLR
> environment. I had been hoping to keep SOLRJ out of the picture and just
> using httpURLConnection. However, I also don't want to maintain session
> state, preferring to send authentication with every request. Is this possible
> with basic Authorization?

I do not know a lot about the authentication in Solr, but I do know that it's
typically using HTTP basic authentication.  As I understand it, for this kind
of authentication, every request will require the credentials.

I am not aware of any state/session capability where Solr's HTTP API is
concerned.  As far as I know, the closest Solr comes to this is that certain
things, particularly the Collections API, are async capable, where you start a
process with one HTTP call and then you can make further requests to check
whether it's done.

If your software is written in Java, I would strongly recommend SolrJ, rather
than constructing the HTTP calls yourself.  The code is easier to write and
understand.  For other languages, there are third-party Solr client libraries
available.

Thanks,
Shawn

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential and may not be used,
published or redistributed without the prior written consent of the Institute
of Geological and Nuclear Sciences Limited (GNS Science). If received in error
please destroy and immediately notify GNS Science. Do not copy or disclose the
contents.