Thanks for that Shawn. What I am doing is working fine now. I need the middle
proxy to audit and modify what client sends to solr (based on user rights) not
to mention keeping solr from direct exposure to internet.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Heisey [mailto:elyog...@elyograg.org]
Sent: Thursday, 2 November 2017 3:13 p.m.
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Stateless queries to secured SOLR server.

On 11/1/2017 4:22 PM, Phil Scadden wrote:
> Except that I am using solrj in an intermediary proxy and passing the
> response directly to a javascript client. It is expect json or csv
> depending on what it passes in wt=

That's a different use case than I had imagined.  Thanks for the detail.

My statement about SolrJ is correct if the code that will handle the response
is Java.  Sounds like it's not -- you've just said that the code that will
actually decode and use the response is javascript.

When the code that will handle the response is Java, SolrJ is a perfect fit,
because SolrJ will handle decoding the response and the programmer doesn't need
to worry about the format, they are given an object that contains the full
response, where information can easily be extracted by someone familiar with
typical Java objects.

There probably is a way to access the full response "text" with SolrJ, rather
than the decoded object, but I do not know enough about the low-level details
to tell you how that might be accomplished.  If you can figure that part out,
then you could use SolrJ and have access to its methods for constructing the
query.

With your Java code simply acting as a proxy, the way you're going about it
might be the best option -- build the http request with a particular wt
parameter, get the response, and pass the response on unmodified.

Thanks,
Shawn
Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential and may not be used,
published or redistributed without the prior written consent of the Institute
of Geological and Nuclear Sciences Limited (GNS Science). If received in error
please destroy and immediately notify GNS Science. Do not copy or disclose the
contents.