Interesting. I will definitely explore this. Just so I'm clear, we can sort on
docValues, but not filter? Is there any situation where external file fields
would work better than docValues?

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Hostetter [mailto:hossman_luc...@fucit.org]
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 12:24 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: External file fields

: I did look into updatable docValues, but my understanding is that the
: field has to be non-indexed (indexed="false"). I need to be able to sort
: on these values. External field fields are sortable.

YOu can absolutely sort on a field that is docValues="true"
indexed="false" ... that is much more efficient then sorting on a field that is
docValues="false" index="true" -- in the later case solr has to build a
fieldcache (aka: run-time-mock-docvalues) from the indexed values the first
time you try to sort on the field after a searcher is opened

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/