> You said that you're running Solr 6.2.2, but there is no 6.2.2 version.
> but the JVM argument list includes "-Xmx512m" which is a 512MB heap

My typos. They're 6.6.2 and -Xmx30g respectively.

> many open connections causes is a large number of open file handles,

solr [ /opt/solr/server/logs ]$ sysctl -a | grep vm.max_map_count
vm.max_map_count = 262144

The only thing I notice right before solr shutdown messages in solr.log the
/update QTime goes from ~500ms  to ~250000.

There is an automated health check that issues a kill on the <solrpid> due
to http connection timeout.