Hi Peter,
You should be able to set any param in several places/ways:
* define in request handler defaults
* define in params.json and reference using useParams in request handler
definition
* use initParams to define default for one or multiple handlers

You can see examples in configs that are part of Solr installation.

HTH,
Emir