Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

I managed to get it working by specifying it in the requestHandler /select
section in solrconfig.xml:
  <requestHandler name="/select" class="solr.SearchHandler">
    <!-- default values for query parameters can be specified, these
         will be overridden by parameters in the request
      -->
    <lst name="defaults">
      <str name="echoParams">explicit</str>
      <int name="rows">10</int>
      <str name="q.op">AND</str>
    </lst>
  </requestHandler>

Your other suggestions will be also useful for everyone with a similar
question. Thanks!

Peter