If the configuration code is going to be rewritten then I would like
to see the ability to dynamically update the configuration and schema
without needing to reboot the server.  Also I would like the
configuration classes to just contain data and not have so many
methods that operate on the filesystem.  This way the configuration
object can be serialized, and loaded by the server dynamically.  It
would be great for the schema to work the same way.

Yonik, what is the best way to get this type of things going?  Where
in the code do you want to implement the distributed RMI Hadoop stuff?