Yonik Seeley wrote:

> ...multi-core allows you to instantiate a completely
> new core and swap it for the old one, but it's a bit of a heavyweight
> approach....
> ...a schema object would not be mutable, but
> that one could easily swap in a new schema object for an index at any
> time...

Not sure I understand what we gain; if you change the schema, you'll most
likely will
have to reindex as well. Or are you saying we should have a shortcut for the
whole operation of
"creating a new core, reindex content, replacing an existing core" ?

Yonik Seeley wrote:

> ...completely separate the serialized and in memory representations...

Let's say hypothetically that a stubborn contributor issues a patch along
those lines: {Solr,SolrConfig,SolrSchema}Descriptor classes that capture
what is currently defined through XML in a Java API, parsers so the current
XML could still be used to instantiate those classes. Would that be
considered an acceptable first step?