On 3/12/2018 8:39 PM, Terry Steichen wrote:
I'm increasingly of the view that Solr's authentication/authorization
mechanism doesn't work correctly in a _standalone_ mode.  It was present
in the cloud mode for quite a few versions back, but as of 6.0.0 (or so)
it was supposed to be available in standalone mode too.  It seems to
partly work (when using the built-in permissions), but does not seem to
work with customized, core-specific permissions.

I suspected based on your last message that the authorization feature might only work correctly in SolrCloud.  The entire authentication feature was designed for SolrCloud.  Version 6.5 brought the security.json file to standalone mode.  This was LONG after the feature was introduced in 5.2 and had a LOT of bugs fixed in the three 5.3.x releases.

I just found the section in the documentation confirming what I suspected.

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_2/authentication-and-authorization-plugins.html#authorization

There is a note here that says "The authorization plugin is only supported in SolrCloud mode. Also, reloading the plugin isn’t yet supported and requires a restart of the Solr installation (meaning, the JVM should be restarted, not simply a core reload)."  The 6.6 documentation contains the same note that you can see here in the latest docs.

I have no idea how hard it would be to extend the authorization plugin to support standalone cores as well as collections.  I imagine that if it were easy, it would have been done already.

Thanks,
Shawn