Deepak
"Please stop cruelty to Animals, help by becoming a Vegan"
+91 73500 12833
deic...@gmail.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/deicool
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/deicool

"Plant a Tree, Go Green"

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 4:00 AM, Shawn Heisey <elyog...@elyograg.org> wrote:

> On 3/24/2018 1:25 PM, Deepak Goel wrote:
>
>> Please check the section *Questions from ‘Around the World’* in the
>> following doc for answers to your questions:
>>
>> *https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZwyveG-Zjy7tbsvh9xjMug4
>> bnIMRqKnNax3jh4GJlzM/edit?usp=sharing
>>

> The document says that 80 percent of the time it's the same query and 20
> percent it's a different one.  But the code does not have any facility for
> changing the query, as far as I can see.  It appears to be always the same.

My first test was to test with static queries. Does Solr scale-up as we
increase the load of same query?

The second test would be to check with 'Different Queries'.

And then finally check with 80% similar queries and 20% different queries.

> If the query is always the same, or if it's the same 80 pecent of the
> time, I would expect response time on the vast majority of the queries to
> be about one to five milliseconds

Do you have any documented proof of the same (1 to 5ms)? Or is it an
educated guess

> , no matter how big the index is, but your document says it's 280 on
> Linux, and 1426 on Windows.

At peak loads on Linux, the response-time is 172ms. If I decrease the load
by half, the response time is around 50ms

> If all settings such as heap are at their defaults, then I suspect you may
> be running Solr with a heap size that's FAR too small.  If this is what's
> happening, then the JVM is going to be spending a very large amount of time
> performing garbage collection, instead of running the application.

I don't think the Jvm heap is a problem. But I will bump it up and test
again

> The default heap size when starting Solr using the included scripts is 512
> megabytes.  This is VERY small, to ensure that Solr will successfully start
> on any system.  Nearly all users must increase the heap size before they go
> to production.  I would set it to 2GB for your index.  If starting Solr
> with the bin\solr or bin/solr command, add a "-m 2g" parameter to the start
> command. 2GB should be a lot more than Solr needs to handle that index, but
> it isn't a HUGE amount.  Be aware that you may need to adjust the heap size
> for your Tomcat installation, and possibly JMeter as well, to be sure that
> those processes are allocating reasonable amounts of memory.

I dont think Tomcat and Jmeter are a bottleneck. But I will bump up the
heap size of them too

> I do not know what the recommended sizes for those programs will be, you
> would need to ask those communities.

The problem I am facing: On Windows, the tps is 28 while on Linix, the tps
is 564 (All the configuration and hardware is same). The other problem is,
Even if there is plenty of hardware available, the Windows environment does
not scale. And I wonder why is this so?