Just what it says. Solr/Lucene like lots of file handles, I regularly
see several thousand. If you run out of file handles Solr stops
working.

Ditto processes. Solr in particular spawns a lot of threads,
particularly when handling many incoming requests through Jetty. If
you exceed the limit, requests fail.

The comments about solr.in.sh are only if you want to stop the
warning. To really fix the underlying issue you need to talk to your
system administrator and up the ulimit values. This is a system-level
operation, not something configured in Solr.

Best,
Erick