Walter Underwood wrote:

> First, define separate analyzer/filter chains for index and query.
> Do not include synonyms in the query chain.
>
> Second, use a separate indexing system and use Solr index distribution
> to sync the indexes to one or more query systems. This will create a new
> Searcher and caches on the query systems, but it is less drastic than
> a restart.

We already have separate analyzers for index/query-time as well as index
distribution for master/slave searchers in place.

Synonyms can be maintained via a web-app by our customer. Assuming you
suggest to use solr as 'separate indexing system', I'll run into the same
issue, where I still think restarting the app every time s.o.
adds/removes/alters a synonym is not an desirable solution.

Axel