Hi,

I'm working with "edismax" and "function-query" parsers in Solr and have
difficulty in understanding whether the query time taken by
"function-query" makes sense. The query I'm trying to optimize looks as
follows:

q={!func sum($q1,$q2,$q3)} where q1,q2,q3 are edismax queries.

The QTime returned by edismax queries takes well under 50ms but it seems
that function-query is the rate determining step since combined query above
takes around 200-300ms. I also analyzed the performance of function query
using only constants.

The QTime results for different q are as follows:

   -

   097ms for q={!func} sum(10,20)
   -

   109ms for q={!func} sum(10,20,30)
   -

   127ms for q={!func} sum(10,20,30,40)
   -

   145ms for q={!func} sum(10,20,30,40,50)

Does this trend make sense? Are function-queries expected to be this slow?

What makes edismax queries so much faster?

What can I do to optimize my original query (which has edismax subqueries
q1,q2,q3) to work under 100ms?

I originally posted this question
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55352565/understanding-solr-function-query-performance>
on
StackOverflow with no success, so any help here would be appreciated.