Hi Ash,
I did not check the code, so not sure if your question is based on something
that you find in the codebase or you are just assuming that scoring is called?
I would assume differently: if you use only fq, then Solr does not have
anything to score. Also, if you order by something other than score and do not
request score to be returned, I would also assume that Solr will not calculate
score. Again, didn’t have time to check the code, so these are just assumptions.

Emir