Hi Erick,
thanks for the reply.
Just to follow up, I'm using "unified" highlighter (fastVector does not
work for my purposes). I search and highlight on a multivalued string
string field which contains small strings (usually less than 200 chars).
This multivalued field is subject to various processors (tokenizer, word
delimiter, stemming), and all termVectors, termPositions, termOffsets are
"true".
This is what I'm using:

------------------ schema ------------------
   <fieldType name="documentSearchP"
class="solr.TextField" positionIncrementGap="100" omitNorms="false">
        <analyzer type="index">
            <tokenizer class="solr.WhitespaceTokenizerFactory" />
            <filter class="solr.SynonymGraphFilterFactory"
synonyms="synonyms_p.txt"
                ignoreCase="true" expand="false" />
            <filter class="solr.FlattenGraphFilterFactory" />
            <filter class="solr.ASCIIFoldingFilterFactory" />
            <filter class="solr.WordDelimiterGraphFilterFactory"
            splitOnCaseChange="0" splitOnNumerics="0"
stemEnglishPossessive="0"
            generateWordParts="1" generateNumberParts="1" catenateWords="0"
            catenateNumbers="0" catenateAll="1" preserveOriginal="1"/>
            <filter class="solr.FlattenGraphFilterFactory" />
            <filter class="solr.KeywordMarkerFilterFactory"
                protected="protwords.txt"/>
            <filter class="solr.PortugueseLightStemFilterFactory" />
        </analyzer>
        <analyzer type="query">
            <tokenizer class="solr.WhitespaceTokenizerFactory" />
            <filter class="solr.SynonymGraphFilterFactory"
synonyms="synonyms_p.txt"
                ignoreCase="true" expand="false" />
            <filter class="solr.ASCIIFoldingFilterFactory" />
            <filter class="solr.WordDelimiterGraphFilterFactory"
            splitOnCaseChange="0" splitOnNumerics="0"
stemEnglishPossessive="0"
            generateWordParts="1" generateNumberParts="1" catenateWords="0"
            catenateNumbers="0" catenateAll="1" preserveOriginal="1"/>
            <filter
class="solr.KeywordMarkerFilterFactory" protected="protwords.txt"/>
            <filter class="solr.PortugueseLightStemFilterFactory" />
        </analyzer>
    </fieldType>

    <dynamicField name="*_msearchp" type="documentSearchP" indexed="true"
stored="true" required="false" multiValued="true"
        storeOffsetsWithPositions="true" termVectors="true"
termPositions="true" termOffsets="true" />

------------------ schema ------------------

And the java code I set the following params. Considering the multivalued
field above is called "text_msearchp")

SolrQuery solrQ = new SolrQuery();
solrQ.setFilterQueries( -- set some filters --);
solrQ.setStart(0);
solrQ.setRows( -- set max rows --);
solrQ.setQuery("text_msearchp"+":(\"+string_being_searched+ "\")");
// ativate highlight
solrQ.setHighlight(true);
solrQ.setHighlightSnippets(500);   // normally this number is low

// set highligher type
solrQ.setParam("hl.method", "unified");
// set highlight field to be the same as the search field
solrQ.setParam("hl.fl", "text_msearchp");
//Seta o termo que irá gerar o highlight
solrQ.setParam("hl.q", "text_msearchp"+":(\"+string_being_searched+ "\")");

Still, my tests indicate a significant speed up using omitNorms="false".
Best,

Reinaldo