I think my original post didn't go through because I wasn't subscribed so
apologizes if this is a duplicate.

For both Solr 7 and Solr 8, we have found that attempts to do range queries on
DatePointField when there are a large number of points performs poorly (queries
were taking over 30 seconds on a 50G core). We also tried switching to
IntPointField to see if it made a difference and it didn't. Just for
comparison, we switched to using the deprecated TrieDateField and found the
performance was significantly better, almost 5x better on average. We even
tried different precision steps and although there was slight variation between
various values, all were significantly faster than the DatePointField. So we
are now running in production with the deprecated fields instead. Wanted to
know if this is a common observance, because blogs I've read lead me to believe
that the Point fields are supposed to be fast. Not sure what the testing
environment was for that but that has not been our experience. I hope that
these Trie fields are going to stay in the product for Solr 9, I know they were
supposed to be removed in Solr 8 but there must have been a reason they were
not.

Thanks for your help!
Michael Cooper