From: Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2020 6:17 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to restore deleted collection from filesystem

ATTENTION: External Email – Be Suspicious of Attachments, Links and Requests
for Login Information.

So what I’m reading here is that you have the _data_ saved somewhere, right? By
“data” I just mean the data directories under the replica.

1> Go ahead and recreate the collection. It _must_ have the same number of
shards. Make it leader-only, i.e. replicationFactor == 1
2> The collection will be empty, now shut down the Solr instances hosting any
of the replicas.
3> Replace the data directory under each replica with the corresponding one
from the backup. “Corresponding” means from the same shard, which should be
obvious from the replica name.
4> Start your Solr instances back up and verify it’s as you expect.
5> Use ADDREPLICA to build out your collection to have as many replicas of each
shard as you require. NOTE: I’d do this gradually, maybe 2-3 at a time then
wait for them to become active before adding more. The point here is that each
ADDREPLICA will cause the entire index down from from the leader and with that
many documents you don’t want to saturate your network.

Best,
Erick