See inline.

> On May 21, 2020, at 10:13 AM, Kommu, Vinodh K. <vko...@dtcc.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Eric for quick response.
>
> Yes, our VMs are equipped with NetBackup which is like file based backup and
> it can restore any files or directories that were deleted from latest
> available full backup.
>
> Can we create an empty collection with the same name which was deleted with
> same number of shared & replicas and copy the content from restored core to
> corresponding core?

Kind of. It is NOT necessary that it has the same name. There is no need at all
(and I do NOT recommend) that you create the same number of replicas to start.
As I said earlier, create a single-replica (i.e. leader-only) collection with
the same number of shards. Copy _one_ data dir (not everything under core) to
that _one_ corresponding replica. It doesn’t matter which replica you copy from

> I mean, copy all contents (directories & files) under
> Oldcollection_shard1_replica1 core from old collection to corresponding
> Newcollection_shard1_replica1 core in new collection. Would this approach
> will work?

As above, do not do this. Just copy the data dir from one of your backup copies
to the leader-only replica. It doesn’t matter at all if the replica names are
the same. The only thing that matters is that the shard number is identical.
For instance, copy blah/blah/collection1_shard1_replica_57/data to
blah/blah/collection1_shared1_replica_1/data if you want.

Once you have a one-replica collection with the data in it and you’ve done a
bit of verification, use ADDREPLICA to build it out.

> Lastly anything needs to be aware in core.properties in newly created
> collection or any reference pointing to new collection specific?

Do not copy or touch  core.properties, you can mess this up thoroughly by
hand-editing. The _only_ thing you copy is the data directory, which will
contain a tlog and index directory. And, the tlog isn’t even necessary.

Best,
Erick