An update.

I started over by removing my Solr 7.3.1 installation and untarring again.

Then went to the bin root directory and entered:

bin/solr -start

Next, I brought up the solr admin window and it still gives the same error
message and hangs up. As far as I can tell I am running solr straight out
of the box.

Jim