Hi,

I am using solr 8.1 in production. We have about 30%-50% of deleted
documents in some old segments that were merged a year ago.

These segments size is about 5GB.

I was wondering why these segments have a high % of deleted docs and found
out that they are NOT being candidates for merging because the
default TieredMergePolicy maxMergedSegmentMB is 5G.

So I have modified the TieredMergePolicyFactory config as below to
lower the delete docs %

<mergePolicyFactory class="org.apache.solr.index.TieredMergePolicyFactory">
  <int name="maxMergeAtOnce">10</int>
  <int name="segmentsPerTier">10</int>
  <double name="maxMergedSegmentMB">12000</double>
  <double name="deletesPctAllowed">20</double>
</mergePolicyFactory>

Do you see any issues with increasing the max merged segment to 12GB and
lowered the deletedPctAllowed to 20%?

Thanks,

Moulay