Our company has a large search deployment serving > 50 M search hits / per
day.

We've been leveraging Lucene for several years and have recently deployed
Solr for the distributed search feature.  We were hitting scaling limits
with lucene due to our index size.

I did an evaluation of Sphinx and found Solr / Lucene to be more suitable
for our needs and much more flexible.  Performance in the Solr deployment (
especially with 1.4) has been better than expected.

Thanks to all the Solr developers for a great product.

Hopefully we'll have the opportunity to contribute to the project as it
moves forward.

Todd