On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org> wrote:
> I've contacted
> others in the past who have done "comparisons" and after one round of
> emailing it was almost always clear that they didn't know what best
> practices are for any given product and thus were doing things
> sub-optimally.

While I agree, one should properly match & tune all apps they are
testing (for a fair comparison), we in turn must set out-of-the-box
defaults (in Lucene and Solr) that get you as close to the "best
practices" as possible.

We don't always do that, and I think we should do better.

My most recent example of this is BooleanQuery's performance.  It
turns out, if you setAllowDocsOutOfOrder(true), it yields a sizable
performance gain (27% on my most recent test) for OR queries.

So why haven't we enabled this by default, already?  (As far as I can
tell it's functionally equivalent, as long as the Collector can accept
out-of-order docs, which our core collectors can).

We can't expect the "other camp" to discover that this obscure setting
must be set, to maximize Lucene's OR query performance.

Mike