>Generally a good idea, but be prepared to entertain requests that should
>also ask you to be able to perform the query using those aliases. I mean
>when you talk about something "similar" to aliases in SQL, those aliases can
>be used in SQL scripts in the where clause too.
>
>Cheers
>Avlesh

I am using shards to provide access to several underlying indexes which
have drastically different schema. Each different shard has its own
dedicated search application built around it. However I also want to
implement a global search that performs a more limited but general purpose
search across all shards. I find I am doing lots of copyfields to get a
set of fields that can be used for the general purpose search, I feel sure
that this is redundant and that an aliasfields feature would be very
useful.

For example one index has a "title" field another has a "subject"
field a third has a "placename" field. My general purpose or
global search treats these as as title. An aliasfields feature would
be more efficient and cleaner than using copyfields.

Fergus.