On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Łukasz Osipiuk <luk...@osipiuk.net> wrote:

> I am new to Solr and I want to get a quick hint if it is suitable for
> what we want to use it for.
> We are building e-mail platform and we want to provide our users with
> full-text search functionality.
>
> We are not willing to use single index file for all users as we want
> to be able to migrate user index from one machine
> to another if need for scaling arises. As we want to have separate
> index file per user, single Solr instance would have to
> handle few thousands (or hundreds of thousands) index files (yet each
> quite small in size).
> We also need to add and remove indices online, as users register
> accounts or are moved to different computer in cluster.
>
> Was Solr designed with such setup in mind? I search the net but did
> not find such usage pattern.
>
> We can directly use Lucene and implement network layer and index
> replication by ourselves but it would be nice to avoid it.

Solr was not designed with such a setup in mind. However, we are working on
a similar use-case and building the additional features Solr would need.

See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1293

We're planning to put up a patch soon. Perhaps we can collaborate?

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.