On Jul 23, 2009, at 7:00 AM, Łukasz Osipiuk wrote:
See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1293

We're planning to put up a patch soon. Perhaps we can collaborate?

What are your estimations to have this patches ready. We have quite
tight deadlines
and cannot afford months of developments.
If you are finishing and have some well separated tasks we certainly
can help (preferably ones which does not require deep Solr internal
understanding).
Otherwise we will probably go for a quick hack using lucene directly.

I'd strongly recommend you stick with Solr, as you'll be reinventing much more than you might initially imagine by going direct with Lucene. Even without SOLR-1293, Solr (trunk, 1.4 that is) has core administration capability so you can manage cores through an HTTP interface. You can bring new indexes/cores online, and can even with some clever configuration capabilities be able to remotely move/ replicate indexes around if you need to move them to scale separately. You'll be most of the way there already with Solr and what is currently available.

        Erik