Hi Dan,

Phrase search (ie using quote) in Lucene does exact match or your expression
so if you type ["david pdf"] (brackets are there to limit the query in my
mail only) the system search for a document that contain the term 'david'
and the term 'pdf' separated by a space (well in the classic case, I suppose
you don't have a specific query parser). So since your corpus does not
contain any document with "david pdf" results are empty. In any case, the
defaultOperator have nothing to do with this. It only occur if you do a
query like ["david pdf" toto] then it will be interpreted as ["david pdf" OR
toto] (given is is the default operator)

I don't know which other legacy system you also used, but this may be a
complete different query syntax and so quote are not interpreted in the same
way.

HTH

gd

--
Gérard Dupont
Information Processing Control and Cognition (IPCC) - EADS DS

Document & Learning team - LITIS Laboratory