Ok I was able to get a heap dump from the GC Limit error.

1 instance of LRUCache is taking 170mb
1 instance of SchemaIndex is taking 56Mb
4 instances of SynonymMap is taking 112mb

There is no searching going on during this index update process.

Any ideas what on earth is going on?  Like I said my May version did this
without any problems whatsoever.

--
Jeff Newburn
Software Engineer, Zappos.com