Hi,

I think that these products do not compete directly that much, each fit
different business case. Can you tell us more about our specific situation?
What do you need to search and where your data is? (DB, Filesystem, Web
...?)

Solr provides some specific extensions which are not supported directly by
Lucene (faceted search, DisMax... etc) so if you need these then your bet on
Compass might not be perfect. On the other hand if you need to index
persistent Java objects then Compass fits perfectly into this scenario (and
if you are using Spring and JPA then setting up search can be matter of
several modifications to configuration and annotations).

Compass is more Hibernate search competitor (but Compass is not limited to
Hibernate only and is not even limited to DB content as well).

Regards,
Lukas