Yes, "transactional", I tried it: do we really need "transactional"? Even if
"commit" takes 20 minutes?
It's their "selling point" nothing more.
HBase is not transactional, and it has specific use case; each tool has
specific use case... in some cases Compass is the best!

Also, note that Compass (Hibernate) ((RDBMS)) use specific "business domain
model" terms with relationships; huge overhead to convert "relational" into
"object-oriented" (why for? Any advantages?)... Lucene does it
behind-the-scenes: you don't have to worry that field "USA" (3 characters) is
repeated in few millions documents, and field "Canada" (6 characters) in
another few; no any "relational", it's done automatically without any
Compass/Hibernate/Table(s)

Don't think "relational".

I wrote this 2 years ago:
http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=50711#272351