Hi Erick,

Erick Erickson wrote:
Are you sure you want to recompute the length when sorting?
It's the classic time/space tradeoff, but I'd suggest that when
your index is big enough to make taking up some more space
a problem, it's far too big to spend the cycles calculating each
term length for sorting purposes considering you may be
sorting all the terms in your index worst-case.
Good point, thank you for the clarification. I "thought" that Lucene internally stores the field length (e.g., in order to compute the relevance) and getting this information at query time requires only a simple lookup.

-Sascha

But you could consider payloads for storing the length, although
that would still be redundant...

Best
Erick