Well that does take care of some cases.

How about if we still want a hit on a tag to contribute to the weight
though?

There would be 2 options. One is the one I described in the original post,
which is to grab the highest score of a set of ids.

The other would be to somehow control the scores of each id. So a document
with 2 ids matching should be worth more then the document with only 1 id
matching (This is how it works now) but a document with 7 ids matching
shouldn't be worth more, or at least not a lot more, then a document that
matches only 3 ids (this is not how it works).

The reason this would be ideal for us is that we don't have any control over
how many ids will be in the query and we don't want documents that have lots
of ids to have an unnatural advantage over those with just a few.