I just checked in the last part of those changes that should eliminate
any restriction on key.
But, that last part dealt with escaping keys that contained whitespace or }
Your example really should have worked after my previous 2 commits.
Perhaps not all of the servers got successfully upgraded?
Can you try trunk again now?

-Yonik
http://lucenerevolution.org  Lucene/Solr Conference, Boston Oct 7-8