You would set up a Java server (container) and run Solr/Lucene. Not sure how to
do the following, but then you block the standard port for Solr/Lucene on that
machine from being accessible except locally.

In whatever code/applicaiton that you are working with, on that machine, you
then use it's libraries to access 'the web', but only actually the 'localhost'
127.0.0.1, usually, @ the port for Solr/Lucene.

Learn, learn, learn, and study some more about using/modifiying data importers,
indexes, putting in filters, stemmmers,shinglers, carpenters (joke), blah,
blah, blah, and last but not least, the almight QUERY to access the index,
filters, etc.

Then you will have a local search engine on whatever data you had put into it.

There is also the 'embedded server' which I have only heard about. Anybody else
on this list other than me is much more experienced in general, and can advise
you better on those.

Dennis Gearon

Signature Warning
EARTH has a Right To Life,