You _could_ use SolrJ with EmbeddedSolrServer.  But personally I wouldn't
unless there's a reason to.  There's no automatic reason not to use the
ordinary Solr HTTP api, even for an in-house application which is not a web
application.  Unless you have a real reason to use embedded solr, I'd use the
HTTP api, possibly via SolrJ if your local application is Java.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Solrj

In my (very limited, so if someone else knows better and has something to say,
listen to them) experience, using EmbeddedSolrServer ends up biting you down
the line, it doesn't work _quite_ like ordinary/typical Solr, and some things
end up not working. And you're going to be mostly on your own for
scaling/concurrency issues. Why re-invent the wheel when ordinary HTTP solr
already works so well?  But EmbeddedSolrServer is there, if you actually have a
need for it.  But there's no reason you can't use Solr's HTTP api for a non-web
application, the fact that your application talks to Solr over HTTP does not
mean your application has to talk to it's users over HTTP, two different
things.

Incidentally, using EmbeddedSolrServer would in fact _not_ be a "client/server"
setup between your app and solr, per your original question. HTTP is a
client/server protocol, using the ordinary Solr HTTP api is the way to set up a
"client/server" relationship between your app and Solr.

Jonathan