Hello list,

I am implementing a directory using Solr. The user is able to search with a
free-text query or 2 filters (provided as pick-lists) for country. A directory
entry only has one country.

I am using Solr facets for country and I use the facet counts generated
initially by a *:* search to generate my pick-list.

This is working fairly well but there are a couple of issues I am facing.

Specifically the countries pick-list does not contain ALL possible countries.
It only contains those that have been indexed against a document.

I have looked at facet.missing but I cannot see how this will work - if no
documents have a country of Sweden, then how would Solr know to generate a
missing total of zero for Sweden - it's never heard of it.

I feel I am missing something - is there a way by which you tell Solr all
possible countries rather than relying on counts generated from the index?

The countries in question reside in a database table belonging to our
application.

Thanks, Allistair