On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Mark <markjl...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> What I'm trying to do is extract some (presumably) structured information
> from non-uniform data (eg, prices from a nutch crawl) that needs to show in
> search queries, and I've come up against a wall.
>
> I've been unable to figure out where is the best place to begin.
>
> I had a look through the solr wiki and did a search via Lucid's search tool
> and I'm guessing this is handled at index time through my schema? But I've
> also seen dismax being thrown around as a possible solution and this has
> confused me.
>
> Basically, if you guys could point me in the right direction for resources
> (even as much as saying, you need X, it's over there) that would be a huge
> help.
[...]

Sorry, the above is a little unclear, at least to me. The basic steps in running
Solr are:
* Installing, configuring, and getting Solr running
* Indexing data, as also updating, and deleting: The best way to do this
  depends on where your data are coming from. Since you mention Nutch,
  that already integrates with Solr, although by default in a manner that
  dumps the entire content from a crawl into a Solr field. You will probably
  need to write a custom Nutch parser plugin in order to extract a subset
  from the content. Please see http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/RunningNutchAndSolr
* Searching through Solr

A good way of getting started is by going through the Solr tutorial:
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html . The Solr Wiki is also fairly
extensive: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FrontPage . Finally, searching
Google for "solr getting started" turns up many likely-looking links.

Regards,
Gora