On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Burton-West, Tom <tburt...@umich.edu> wrote:

> I always get confused about the two different divisors and their names in the
> solrconfig.xml file

This one (for the writer) isnt configurable by Solr. want to open an issue?

> We are setting  termInfosIndexDivisor, which I think translates to the Lucene
> IndexWriter.setReaderTermsIndexDivisor
>
> <indexReaderFactory name="IndexReaderFactory"
> class="org.apache.solr.core.StandardIndexReaderFactory">
>    <int name="termInfosIndexDivisor">8</int>
>  </indexReaderFactory >
>
> The other one is termIndexInterval which is set on the writer and determines
> what gets written to the tii file.  I don't remember how to set this in Solr.
>
> Are we setting the right one to reduce RAM usage during merging?

When you write the terms, it creates a terms dictionary, and a terms
index. The termsIndexInterval (default 128) controls how many terms go
into the index.
For example every 128th term.

The divisor just samples this at runtime... e.g. with your divisor of
8 its only reading every 8th term from the index [or every 8*128th
term is read into ram, another way to see it].

Your setting isn't being applied to the reader IW uses during
merging... its only for readers Solr opens from directories
explicitly.
I think you should open a jira issue!