>>Your setting isn't being applied to the reader IW uses during
>>merging... its only for readers Solr opens from directories
>>explicitly.
>>I think you should open a jira issue!

Do I understand correctly that this setting in theory could be applied to the
reader IW uses during merging but is not currently being applied?

<indexReaderFactory name="IndexReaderFactory"
class="org.apache.solr.core.StandardIndexReaderFactory">
    <int name="termInfosIndexDivisor">8</int>
  </indexReaderFactory >

I understand the tradeoffs for doing this during searching, but not the
trade-offs for doing this during merging.  Is the use during merging the
similar to the use during searching?

 i.e. Some process has to look up data for a particular term as opposed to
having to iterate through all the terms?
 (Haven't yet dug into the merging/indexing code).

Tom