(Many apologies if this appears twice, I tried to send it via Nabble
first but it seems to have got stuck, and is fairly urgent/serious.)

Hi,

I'm trying to use the replication handler to take snapshots, then
archive them and ship them off-site.

Just now I got a message from tar that worried me:

tar: snapshot.20110115035710/_70b.tis: file changed as we read it
tar: snapshot.20110115035710: file changed as we read it

The relevant bit of script that does it looks like this (error
checking removed):

curl 'http://localhost:8983/solr/core/1replication?command=backup'
PREFIX=''
if [[ "$START_TIME" =~ 'Sun' ]]
then
        PREFIX='weekly.'
fi
cd $SOLR_DATA_DIR
for snapshot in `ls -d -1 snapshot.*`
do
        TARGET="${LOCAL_BACKUP_DIR}/${PREFIX}${snapshot}.tar.bz2"
        echo "Archiving ${snapshot} into $TARGET"
        tar jcf $TARGET $snapshot
        echo "Deleting ${snapshot}"
        rm -rf $snapshot
done

I was under the impression that files in the snapshot were guaranteed
to never change, right? Otherwise what's the point of the replication
backup command?

I tried putting in a 30-second sleep after the snapshot and before the
tar, but the error occurred again anyway.

There was a message from Lance N. with a similar error in, years ago:

http://www.mail-archive.com/solr-user@lucene.apache.org/msg06104.html

but that would be pre-replication anyway, right?

This is on Ubuntu 10.10 using java 1.6.0_22 and Solr 1.4.0.

Thanks,

Andrew.

--

:: http://biotext.org.uk/ :: http://twitter.com/andrew_clegg/ ::