Thanks Otis, yes it is the former and it definitely solves my problem for my
static metadata.

I realise now though that for dynamic values like transaction id, I probably
need a different method for storing this metadata though. Is there a
standard way of adding metadata to a Solr core and being able to set/get
this data at runtime?

Thanks,
David