On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Dinesh <mdineshkuma...@karunya.edu.in> wrote:

> i tried editing the schema file and indexing my own log..  the error that i
> got is
>
> root@karunya-desktop:/home/karunya/apache-solr-1.4.1/example/exampledocs#
> java -jar post.jar sample.txt
> SimplePostTool: version 1.2
> SimplePostTool: WARNING: Make sure your XML documents are encoded in UTF-8,
> other encodings are not currently supported
> SimplePostTool: POSTing files to http://localhost:8983/solr/update..
> SimplePostTool: POSTing file sample.txt
> SimplePostTool: FATAL: Solr returned an error:
[...]

Most likely, you are trying to send a plain text file to Solr, instead of
the XML that it is expecting. Please see
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html#Indexing+Data for an
example of how to index XML files to Solr via a POST. That references
files in example/exampledocs/ in your Solr source code directory that
can serve as examples. E.g., see example/exampledocs/solr.xml.

You can try first to see that you can get the built-in Solr examples
running, by following the instructions from the beginning of
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html. Once, that is done, and
if you describe the format of your log files, and what data you want
to retain from them, people can help you further.

Regards,
Gora