From: Jonathan Rochkind [rochk...@jhu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 3:38 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Cc: Paul Libbrecht
Subject: Re: OAI on SOLR already done?

The trick is that you can't just have a generic black box OAI-PMH
provider on top of any Solr index. How would it know where to get the
metadata elements it needs, such as title, or last-updated date, etc.
Any given solr index might not even have this in stored fields -- and a
given app might want to look them up from somewhere other than stored
fields.

If the Solr index does have them in stored fields, and you do want to
get them from the stored fields, then it's, I think (famous last words)
relatively straightforward code to write. A mapping from solr stored
fields to metadata elements needed for OAI-PMH, and then simply
outputting the XML template with those filled in.

I am not aware of anyone that has done this in a
re-useable/configurable-for-your-solr tool. You could possibly do it
solely using the built-in Solr
JSP/XSLT/other-templating-stuff-I-am-not-familiar-with stuff, rather
than as an external Solr client app, or it could be an external Solr
client app.

This is actually a very similar problem to something someone else asked
a few days ago "Does anyone have an OpenSearch add-on for Solr?"  Very
very similar problem, just with a different XML template for output
(usually RSS or Atom) instead of OAI-PMH.