I'm afraid I'll have to pass, I'm absolutely swamped at the moment. Perhaps
someone else can pick it up.

I will say that you should be getting terms back when you pre-lower-case
them, so look in your index via the admin page or Luke to see if what's
really in your index is what you think in the "name" field.

As for sorting, I haven't a clue. Start by backing out your custom sorting,
verifying that things are as you expect for everything *except* sorting and
add
it back in....

Best
Erick