I believe that the Lucid Works distro for Solr is free and as you mentioned
they only appear to sell their services for it. I have used that version for
several demos because it does seem to have all the bells and whistles already
included and it's super easy to set up. The only downside in my case is that
they are still on the official release version 1.4.1 which has an older version
of PDFBox that doesn't parse PDF's generated from newer adobe software. Thanks
Adobe ;-) It's easy enough to just rebuild Tika, PDFBox, FontBox, etc. and swap
them out...If you want spatial support, you can use the plugin from the Spatial
Solr project out of the Netherlands which is designed to support 1.4.1 and from
what I can tell seems to work pretty well.

Anyway, when 4.0 is released, hopefully with the extended spatial support from
projects like SIS and JTS, I hope to see the office distro version change from
Lucid.

Thanks for all hard work the Lucid Team has provided over the years!

Adam