So it looks like can handle adding new documents, and expiring old
documents. Updating a document is not part of the game.
This would work well for message boards or tweet type solutions.

Solr can do this as well directly. Why wouldn't you just improve the
document and facet caching so that when you append there is not a huge hit
to Solr? Also we could add a expiration to documents as well.

The big issue for me is that when I update Solr I need to replicate that
change quickly to all slaves. If we changed replication to stream to the
slaves in Near Real Time and not have to create a whole new index version,
warming, etc, that would be awesome. That combined with better caching
smarts and we have a near perfect solution.

Thanks.