That fixed that error as well as the could not initialize Dataimport class
error. Now I'm getting:

org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error Instantiating Request Handler,
org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.DataImportHandler is not a
org.apache.solr.request.SolrRequestHandler

I can't find anything on this one. What I've added to the solrconfig.xml
file matches whats in example-DIH so I don't quite understand what the issue
is here. It sounds to me like it is not declared properly somewhere but I'm
not sure where/why.

Here is the relevant portion of my solrconfig.xml file:

<requestHandler name="/dataimport"
class="org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.DataImportHandler">
   <lst name="defaults">
     <str name="config">db-data-config.xml</str>
   </lst>
</requestHandler>

Thanks for all the help so far. You all have been great.

Brian Lamb