OK, I think you're jumping ahead and trying to do
too many things at once.

What did you download? Source? The distro? The error
you posted usually happens for me when I haven't
compiled the "example" target from source. So I'd guess
you don't have the proper targets built. This assumes you
downloaded the source via SVN.

If you downloaded a distro, I'd start by NOT copying anything
anywhere, just go to the example code and start Solr. Make
sure you have what you think you have.

I've seen "interesting" things get cured by removing the entire
directory where your servlet container unpacks war files, but
that's usually in development environments.

When I get in these situations, I usually find it's best to back
up, do one thing at a time and verify that I get the expected
results at each step. It's tedious, but....

Best
Erick